[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #24695: Disabling the Save and Publish buttons when heartbeat connection is in error state

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jul 18 19:15:47 UTC 2013

#24695: Disabling the Save and Publish buttons when heartbeat connection is in
error state
------------------------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz                        |       Owner:  carldanley
     Type:  defect (bug)                  |      Status:  reviewing

Comment (by azaozz):

 > I feel like a "Try again" link is still going to be useful for people
 who want immediate gratification.

 The heartbeat connection times out after 30 sec. On the Edit Post screen
 heartbeat runs with 15 sec. interval (it doesn't in case there is only one
 registered user, but it switches to 15 sec. interval after a connection
 error). In practice as soon as one connection attempt times out another is
 fired, so a "Try again" link wouldn't do anything to speed this up.

 > We should consider telling them (assuming window.sessionStorage) that
 we're trying to log their data to the browser, in case there's an issue.

 All supported browsers [http://caniuse.com/namevalue-storage except IE7]
 have sessionStorage, perhaps we can mention this in the message (btw do we
 still care about IE7?).

 > Sorry, removing brackets from single-line if statements is a habit.

 Same habit here :) Not sure when the JS coding standard was changed. Part
 of the reason we have that standard is to keep JS and PHP as similar as
 possible.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/24695#comment:17>