[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23292: Media uploader loads full size image and slows down, please change to thumbnails.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jul 17 21:41:11 UTC 2013

#23292: Media uploader loads full size image and slows down, please change to
thumbnails.
 Reporter:  mnrtjeR       |       Owner:

Comment (by DH-Shredder):

 Did you check to make sure that WordPress generated the smaller images for
 that specific upload within wp-content?

 I've seen that behavior frequently when an upload fails at some point
 (usually due to an image being too large to be processed by the current
 server with its current configuration).

 In that case, you'll usually end up with the Full size, since it needs to
 be uploaded to be resized, then as many sizes as are completed before the
 resizing process fails.

 Replying to [comment:10 MDesigner0]:
 > What exactly is a "medium size" image? I've got an image that has sizes
 90x90, 150x150, 158x158, 300x300, 370x370, 900x900,  and 1024x1024. And
 the full size (2262x2261). And yet when I click "Add Media," it still uses
 the full 2262x2261 as the thumbnail. Doesn't make any sense.

 > I dunno if I'd call this "not a pressing issue." For e-commerce store
 owners who have large images, I think it is. This runs up the CPU usage
 and makes the computer run HOT. I think at least some sort of interim
 patch would be nice for 3.5.x.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/23292#comment:12>