[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #24709: Customise link text in paginate_links() and paginate_comments_links() for accessibility

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jul 8 11:19:28 UTC 2013

#24709: Customise link text in paginate_links() and paginate_comments_links() for
accessibility
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  grahamarmfield  |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |     Status:  new
Component:  Accessibility   |    Version:  3.5.2
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 paginate_links() produces a list of numbered pagination links in archive,
 search, etc. paginate_comments_links() does the same for paged comments.

 Currently there appears to be no way of tailoring the link text to include
 context as well as the page number. A plain list of numbered links may not
 mean much for screen reader users who are using the screen reader's 'List
 Links' facility.

 For example, I would like to add '''<span class="visuallyhidden">Page
 users of screen readers. My stylesheet will hide the extra text from
 sighted users, but it will still be available to AT (assistive
 technology).

 I suggest the addition of two new parameters: '''before_link''' and
 '''after_link''' for this purpose. The defaults for each parameter would
 be none.