[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23316: Top level admin sidebar menu items with conflicting positions bury one another

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jan 29 21:07:27 UTC 2013

#23316: Top level admin sidebar menu items with conflicting positions bury one
another
-----------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  beautomated      |       Type:  defect (bug)
 I have now seen two separate instances where a top level admin sidebar
 menu item wasn't showing up when another Plugin or Theme was activated. In
 the most recent case, using WP 3.5.1. my Plugin was creating a top level
 menu item with no position specified (blank, default). When I activated my
 client's Theme, our Plugin sidebar item disappeared and in place came the
 Theme Options item. I set our Plugin to use position 70, and it came back
 in place of the Users top level menu item.

 In the earlier case, I had a custom post type that was requesting position
 20. Whenever I activated Gravity Forms, my custom post type menu item was
 disappearing. This was with WordPress v3.5

 According to the codex page: "''WARNING: if two menu items use the same
 position attribute, one of the items may be overwritten so that only one
 item displays! Risk of conflict can be reduced by using decimal instead of
 integer values, e.g. 63.3 instead of 63 (Note: Use quotes in code, IE

 This seems like a bug to me. Why should items be allowed to completely
 overwrite one another? Shouldn't they just fall in line, albeit randomly
 when two conflict? I can see tons of problems with Themes and Plugins
 killing one another's top level menu items, and the user not understanding
 what's going on when they loose something unexpectedly.