[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #7294: Minor changes checkbox for post revisions / possible new table for revisions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 21 11:56:52 UTC 2013

#7294: Minor changes checkbox for post revisions / possible new table for
revisions
-----------------------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  lilyfan                      |       Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  enhancement                  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by westi):

 * status:  reopened => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix
 * severity:  major => normal
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>

Comment:

 If revisions are causing significant performance problems on some
 hosts/sites then it is likely that the same performance issues would still
 occur without revisions in the posts table once the site had a large
 amount of content.

 Rather than moving revisions to a new table, which doesn't work with how
 we have chosen to structure the underlying db and would generate a large
 amount of work we would do better to look into specific slow downs that
 revisions cause.

 To do this we need specific examples of revisions slowing down queries /
 sites so that they can be investigated in detail.

 On WordPress.com revisions continue to be a useful feature for end-users
 and have not causes us any big issue, in recent releases WordPress itself
 has worked on some of the large site scaling issues that come up
 with/without revisions and continues to do so.

 The idea of a Minor Changes checkbox is interesting but I'm not sure that
 it should overwrite the previous revision but rather make note of the fact
 that the change was minor and present it differently - we will consider
 this as part of the work on Revisions for 3.6.

 For now I'm going to close this ticket as WONTFIX again because we have no
 desire or plans to seperate out revisions or attachments into seperate
 tables and would rather address individual scaling issues as individual
 tickets.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7294#comment:15>