[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23069: For plugins that create custom taxonomies, wp_delete_term does not work during plugin uninstall.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jan 2 16:41:35 UTC 2013

#23069: For plugins that create custom taxonomies, wp_delete_term does not work
during plugin uninstall.
 Reporter:  sscovil       |       Owner:

Comment (by sscovil):

 The key difference is in the way WordPress related custom taxonomies and
 terms -- apposed to, say, the way it relates custom post types to posts.

 If I want my plugin to remove all posts of a post type that my plugin
 created, I can do that without needing to re-register the post type first.
 If I want to remove all terms for a custom taxonomy that my plugin
 creates, this is not the case.

 For that reason, I believe the onus should be on WordPress (and not each
 individual plugin developer) to find a solution.

 Replying to [comment:5 dd32]:
 > I personally think that this should be left up to plugin authors, just
 as uninstalling is left up to the plugin authors.[[BR]]
 > A plugin can re-register / run any init handlers it needs upon uninstall
 to create the proper environment for it's uninstall handler.

 > Ultimately, a plugin could add all sorts of special filters to modify
 how Terms are handled, as well as Custom Post Types, potentially custom
 comment statuses, and post statuses.. the list of things just grows in
 size, for WordPress to keep track of every single item type IMHO would
 become much more of a burden.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/23069#comment:6>