[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23593: Add functions to extract the first image from content, [gallery] a post, or an arbitrary string

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 26 07:17:23 UTC 2013

#23593: Add functions to extract the first image from content, [gallery] a post, or
an arbitrary string
----------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  wonderboymusic  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by dd32):

 > > We should avoid introducing a function of the same name into core.
 > I disagree. Justin should prefix all the things in his plugins.

 I agree that developers should prefix, however, putting the users ahead of
 ourselves, we should avoid the conflict by not using the same function
 name as a popular plugin, or by taking over the function from the plugin
 by deactivating the plugin (as long as our version is compatible).

 When core added the Sidebars, there was an existing plugin which didn't
 prefix, there's some code that we added to disable the plugin when the
 upgraded version of WordPress was installed, seamless transition from
 plugin to core feature.  Just saying, there's precedent there if we take
 that route, but would probably require our function becoming pluggable.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/23593#comment:4>