[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23379: Make it possible to update localization files through subversion again, or provide a standalone mo/po file download

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Feb 4 04:57:41 UTC 2013

#23379: Make it possible to update localization files through subversion again, or
provide a standalone mo/po file download
-----------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  timdream         |       Type:  defect (bug)
 Hi,

 I wrote a script here a couple years ago to update the core WordPress
 application through subversion, coz I am tired of tracking my own
 modifications (if there is any)

 https://github.com/timdream/wp-script

 However, starting v3.3.1, I am not be able to update mo/po files through
 wordpress-i18n svn repo. According to the localization site here
 https://tw.wordpress.org/, I would have to export the files through
 GlotPress myself.

 That leave me two choices with my script:

 1. Hack my way through GlotPress, curl the GET requests to download the
 l10n files. The script would have to figure out 3.5.1 comes from 3.5.x
 first, and zh_TW -> zh-tw.
 2. Download http://tw.wordpress.org/latest-zh_TW.tar.gz, extract and
 discard everything except the language directory.

 Neither approach is optimal. So I would like to propose some possible
 approaches here:

 A. Export the po/mo files back to subversion. I think this must have been
 discussed somewhere with people against it.
 B. Provide latest-zh_TW-language.tar.gz package.

 I am not aware of whether (B) is already exist or not, nor I am aware of
 where the packaging script is being maintained. If the script is somewhere
 publicly available through subversion, I am more than happy to provide a
 patch to it.

 Until then, I would probably need to find some time to implement (1) in
 shell script :-/ Thank you for reading the bug report.