[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #23341: Spell checker in the editor shows languages not supported by google spellchecker like hebrew

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Feb 1 05:46:46 UTC 2013

#23341: Spell checker in the editor shows languages not supported by google
spellchecker like hebrew
--------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  mark-k        |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by mark-k):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  invalid =>

Comment:

 This whole thing is under documented. It doesn't say anything in the
 comment above the filter about limited amount of languages that
 googlespell supports, and it is not mentioned even in the tinymce
 documentation.
 The comment above the localization have even less detail, and that will be
 the place where localizer look at.

 I don't think it is the responsibility of the localizer to guess that
 there is more digging to be done if there is no hint for the need to do
 that. I can understand why the hebrew localizer went and added hebrew in
 the localization, he saw that there is a way to add hebrew so he added it
 cause it is simple to see that people writing in hebrew will want to use
 an hebrew spell checker.

 The worst part is that instead of giving some message like "language not
 supported" you get a "your spelling is perfect", therefor unless the
 localizer actually QAs this feature he will never know it doen't work.

 Related #11294

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/23341#comment:3>