[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25153: Temporary directory (for installs, updates, etc.) is hard-coded instead of configurable

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Aug 28 00:03:57 UTC 2013

#25153: Temporary directory (for installs, updates, etc.) is hard-coded instead of
configurable
-----------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  Synetech         |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  closed

Comment (by dd32):

 > What ever purpose the user sees fit.

 And in order to allow for something which fits users expectations, we need
 to be able to look at it from a distance and cover EVERY users uses.

 Based on the above, we have two options for the location of the upgrades
 folder - `ABSPATH`, or `WP_CONTENT_DIR`, because it's limited by users who
 upgrade via FTP, and limited by existing WordPress code which can't be
 changed retrospectively. Adding a constant won't allow for the flexibility
 you expect (Since it'd probably have to be relative to `ABSPATH`).

 > putting temporary files on flash-media (when avoidable) is a poor design
 choice.
 This I agree with, but since WordPress is a web application primarily, and
 portable applications is a extreme edge case, it isn't one we can fully
 support to match the expectations there.
 A Portable application is a good use-case where a 3rd-party versioning and
 deployment system would be advisable.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/25153#comment:11>