[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25112: In large menus javascript freezes the browser and you cannot work with the menu.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Aug 21 19:25:47 UTC 2013

#25112: In large menus javascript freezes the browser and you cannot work with the
menu.
 Reporter:  tsdexter     |      Owner:
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
  (bug)                  |  Milestone:  Awaiting Review
Component:  Menus        |   Keywords:  ux-feedback ui-feedback 2nd-opinion
 Severity:  blocker      |  needs-patch
 What steps should be taken to consistently reproduce the problem?
  - create a large menu (in my case 1020 menu items)

 In case it's relevant to the ticket, what is the expected output? What did
 you see instead?
  - laying out and drag/dropping menu items should work - it does not as
 the javascript seems to have frozen the browser (definitely with chrome,
 firefox - it sometimes works in safari but VERY slowly)

 Does the problem occur even when you deactivate all plugins and use the
 default theme?
  - yes

 Please provide any additional information that you think we'd find useful.
 (OS and browser for UI defects, server environment for crashes, etc.)
  - tested on 2011 MacBook Pro, OSX 10.7, chrome and firefox freezes on
 load - safari sometimes manages to load but working with the menu is very
 slow - ie: dragging an item up an item block/level takes up to 30 seconds
 for each item it passes.

 I've set severity to blocker as this caused us to have to downgrade back
 to 3.5.2 because we could not add to/remove from/manage our menus as we
 could not find anyway around it - even running on a brand new 2013 top
 spec 27" iMac it would still freeze the browser.