[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21737: Users should have to jump through hoops to set passwords of their choosing, and we should guard better against weak passwords

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Aug 16 22:32:59 UTC 2013

#21737: Users should have to jump through hoops to set passwords of their choosing,
and we should guard better against weak passwords
----------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  markjaquith     |       Owner:  westi
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by azaozz):

 At the same time, we deliberately don't register zxcvbn.min.js, because
 zxcvbn-async.js should be used instead.

 Agreed, that's a good thing to do.

 > We could almost treat zxcvbn-async.js as a WP file. Maybe even call it
 wp-zxcvbn.js or wp-password-strength.js.

 Yep, my thoughts exactly. `zxcvbn-async.js` is a simple async loading of
 another JS file on `window.onload`. We can have the remainder of
 `passwordStrength(password1, username, password2)` in the same file.

 On the other hand if we want to experiment with loading zxcvbn.js "on
 demand", perhaps after a password field is focused, we will need
 `password-strength-meter.js` to handle that. In this case `zxcvbn-
 async.js` should be in script_loader so the library can be loaded properly
 but is not going to be used in core.

 `zxcvbn_load_hook` callback when ready. This can be used to remove a
 spinner (we will need one) and start checking user input.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21737#comment:36>