[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #6536: Introduce the concept of "read" and "unread" comments for better workflow in the admin

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Aug 11 21:01:59 UTC 2013

#6536: Introduce the concept of "read" and "unread" comments for better workflow
in the admin
 Reporter:  markjaquith  |       Owner:  markjaquith
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  accepted
Changes (by westonruter):

 * cc: weston@… (added)

Comment:

 The concern I have with adding a new global `commentmeta` field for read
 state is the number of new entries this would add to the database.
 Presuming all non-spam comments all get eventually read, this means an
 extra `commentmeta` entries would always get added for each, so I do not
 think there would be a space savings for not adding a new column to
 `comments`. Assuming that the read state would be normally queried so that
 the read state could be displayed with each comment when rendered, this
 would require an extra `JOIN` in comment queries, definitely slowing down
 the performance of commenting in general. With this consideration, I think
 adding a new column to the `comments` table could be a better approach.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6536#comment:5>