[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #19383: Hide post formats next to post titles if the active blog theme does not support post formats

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Aug 10 23:30:42 UTC 2013

#19383: Hide post formats next to post titles if the active blog theme does not
support post formats
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  philiparthurmoore  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new

Comment (by philiparthurmoore):

 Replying to [comment:9 helen]:
 > Is it any better now that they're icons? I know there's still the base
 issue of the support piece, but just wondering.

 I am not sure if the following behavior is newish or not, but it appears
 to be more recent than when I first submitted this issue. The icons set
 makes it better visually but doesn't quite address the primary issue,
 which is control over post formats in themes that offer no support for
 post formats. This is what I see in `3.7-alpha-25000`.

 1. I have a theme activated that supports two non-standard post formats:
 **image** and **quote**. When I create a new post, this is what I expect
 to see:

 [[Image(http://p-am.net/grabs/pf-standard-image-quote-1.jpg)]]

 2. If I go to `/wp-admin/edit.php` and have posts with post formats that
 aren't supported by the theme present, this is what I see:

 [[Image(http://p-am.net/grabs/pf-test.jpg)]]

 3. If I click **Edit** on a post that has a non-supported format (e.g.
 Post Format Test: Link), this is what I see under the **Format** tab:

 [[Image(http://p-am.net/grabs/pf-format-link-active.jpg)]]

 4. If I choose another format for the post (e.g. Standard), and click
 save, this is the Format tab that then comes up:

 [[Image(http://p-am.net/grabs/pf-link-after-save.jpg)]]

 So right now there's a problem in interacting with post formats that
 aren't supported by a theme but associated with a post pre-theme switch.

 I still feel the best bet is the one that's most consistent, which is
 either to always hide unsupported PF icons/text when a theme doesn't
 support it, or to always show PF icons/text, regardless of theme support,
 and allow users to remove/attach PF support to posts in themes that don't
 support a specific format. Both of those have drawbacks, but the current
 inconsistency in PF UI is very confusing.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/19383#comment:11>