[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21737: Users should have to jump through hoops to set passwords of their choosing, and we should guard better against weak passwords

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 17 14:55:24 UTC 2013

#21737: Users should have to jump through hoops to set passwords of their choosing,
and we should guard better against weak passwords
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  markjaquith      |       Owner:  westi
     Type:  feature request  |      Status:  accepted
Changes (by clwill):

 * cc: chris@… (added)

Comment:

 I third the agreement with jenmylo's comment.  Requirements are a very bad
 user experience.  I am not signed up with my state DMV simply because
 their password requirements were so onerous.

 I also want to add in concern for a widespread belief that passphrase
 complexity is the answer to security against brute force attacks.  It just
 becomes an arms races.  Please read this article on the long term future
 of the password:

 http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/11/ff-mat-honan-password-hacker/

 I think WP and Automattic should approach the issue of broad scale secure
 account attacks with the same concern and resources they did against broad
 scale spamming.  Harness the power of millions of WP sites to identify and
 block the offenders.  This, like spam, is a case where the sheer power of
 numbers can help, and only Automattic can leverage that power.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21737#comment:24>