[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #24016: RFE : Amend coding standards so that theme developers place dynamic styles in separate files

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Apr 9 21:19:09 UTC 2013

#24016: RFE : Amend coding standards so that theme developers place dynamic styles
in separate files
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  pembo13          |       Type:  feature request
 Currently, theme authors are placing their dynamically generated CSS
 styles inline of the HTML output on every page. In a recent example I have
 seen from a purchased theme, what should have been a ~45KB page was being
 sent as a ~225KB page because of dynamically generated styles.

 With minimal code, the styles can be moved to there own file (at least
 from the perspective of the client user agent) and HTTP features such as
 "etag", "last-modified", and "expires" can easily be made use of to make
 the browsing experience better.

 My suspicion is that most of theme designers are not programmers, and so
 would not do such a thing on their own. A standardized example would help
 theme designers builder leaner pages.

 ----

  * dynamic styles -- CSS rules created based on administrator input into
 theme specific settings pages