[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21038: Provide an option for creating 2x images of user content (for Retina Displays)

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Sep 6 15:40:43 UTC 2012

#21038: Provide an option for creating 2x images of user content (for Retina
Displays)
-----------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  twam             |       Owner:  Otto42
     Type:  feature request  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by travisnorthcutt):

 Replying to [comment:15 Otto42]:

 > - For every image size, generate a HiDPI version at 2x the size if the
 following conditions are met:
 >   1. No larger image exists that is at least 2x the desired size, and
 which has the same cropping conditions.
 >   2. The "full" image is large enough to support such a resizing.

 What do you think about amending #1 to say e.g. "No larger image exists
 that is at least 2x (but no more than 2.nx) the desired size, and which
 has the same cropping conditions" (where n is some reasonable number...
 perhaps ~2)?

 My reasoning: say the desired image size is 300x300, and you have image
 sizes defined at 150x150, 300x300, and 1200x1200. Without the amendment,
 when a HiDPI-capable device requests an image that would otherwise be
 served at 300x300, then the 1200x1200 would be used (and presumably shown
 at 300x300). That seems like a pretty big waste of bandwidth.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21038#comment:17>