[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20944: Changing plugin filename causes Fatal error on automatic activation after update

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Jun 13 19:43:39 UTC 2012

#20944: Changing plugin filename causes Fatal error on automatic activation after
update
 Reporter:  adiant        |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Plugins       |    Version:  3.4
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
 In a new version of a (my) plugin in the WordPress repository, I changed
 the filename of the main plugin file (to match the folder name).  When an
 old version of the plugin is activated, doing an automatic update to the
 latest version of the plugin (with the new filename), the following error
 message is displayed:  "The plugin jonradio-display-kitchen-sink/jonradio-
 kitchen-sink.php has been deactivated due to an error: Plugin file does
 not exist."

 An immediate manual Activation completes successfully.

 Observed on sites with WordPress Network turned off and on, including when
 the plugin was Network Activated.

 Plugin is jonradio Display Kitchen Sink, and update was from Version 1.0
 to 1.1.