[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20052: Support sprites for admin menu icons in register_post_type and add_menu_page

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Jul 27 20:05:58 UTC 2012

#20052: Support sprites for admin menu icons in register_post_type and
add_menu_page
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  helenyhou       |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by helenyhou):

 Replying to [comment:38 scribu]:
 > The problem here is actually too much flexibility. We can make it less
 complex by mandating a precise sprite layout, i.e. the layout that is used
 in the Core sprite.

 Yes, please. This was intended as a simplification that does not add much
 to how things are currently registered - follow a template to make your
 sprite, give the menu_icon arg a name (and maybe just a true/false flag
 for 2x and a pre-determined naming scheme), and be done. Complex
 implementations where pixel locations are still needed to be known might
 as well be done in CSS by the dev. Things like columns in a single sprite
 might also be nice-to-have, but I can't see that being needed by
 plugins/themes all that often.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/20052#comment:39>