[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20052: Support sprites for admin menu icons in register_post_type and add_menu_page

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Jul 27 14:27:54 UTC 2012

#20052: Support sprites for admin menu icons in register_post_type and
add_menu_page
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  helenyhou       |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by bradyvercher):

 The use of two arrays looks good to me, but I don't think it should be a
 requirement to use two separate images. The point of sprites is to reduce
 requests, so another image will add another request (multiplied by however
 many menu icons and potentially screen icons use this technique).

 For 2x support, the only required argument in that array should be
 '`background_size`'. The image and coordinates should both fall back to
 the default array if they don't exist, but the ability to overload them
 should be there, if needed, for flexibility.

 I didn't examine the patch closely, but it looks like it breaks backwards
 compatibility if an image url is passed, and it doesn't appear to account
 for `add_menu_page()`.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/20052#comment:33>