[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #19906: Quicktags docs recommend code causing JS error: Uncaught ReferenceError: QTags is not defined

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Jan 27 17:35:32 UTC 2012

#19906: Quicktags docs recommend code causing JS error: Uncaught ReferenceError:
QTags is not defined
------------------------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  jeremyclarke                        |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                         |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by TobiasBg):

 > clarification in the inline docs because right now it encourages
 something that throws a javascript error which causes all kinds of havoc.

 You could interpret it this way, but if you do, this basically is valid
 for all documentation in WP. You would actually have to add a similar
 warning to the docs of many other JS objects or even PHP functions that
 are in core. IMHO, that's "over-documenting".
 (And as you mentioned the wiki: This would probably be the more
 appropriate place for this hint/warning.)

 So, to correct way simply is to load your JS only on pages where you know
 that the prerequisites (here for quicktags) are fulfilled: For core, this
 would be post.php and post-new.php (for post types that have support for
 the editor), and on your own plugin's screens, this would be all screens
 where you actually load a wp_editor() yourself.

 Now, as your intention seems to be to add a button to *all* wp_editors()
 that there are (which I'm not sure is good thing to do), a typeof
 undefined check would indeed be in order, and I fully support and
 encourage it. I just doubt that it has to be recommended in the docs, as
 most plugins won't need it, if they load their scripts in the proper way,
 and only for certain wp_editor() instances.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/19906#comment:3>