[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #10982: Category hierarchy in list of categories do not display correctly when editing a post

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Jan 23 19:03:06 UTC 2012

#10982: Category hierarchy in list of categories do not display correctly when
editing a post
--------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  dj-wp         |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by porridgebear):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  invalid =>

Comment:

 +1 to change the default strategy of WP here.

 This has been highly confusing for our users. In the case of many
 categories, some with the same names but in different branches of a
 hierarchical tree, this "undoing" of the true hierarchy does not allow
 users to identify the correct category to use. The problem is even worse
 if you check the top level category but no children. All of a sudden the
 parent and all children are listed in one list.

 I can't even begin to see a use for this, even the suggested "it's easier
 to see them at the top" is not compelling. In my view to support both you
 could break the Category box into 2 tabs - Tab 1, the actual tree and Tab
 2 - Used categories. That is the best of both worlds.

 Right now it is horrible to work with.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10982#comment:19>