[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #19846: Specify 'primary' sidebar, so widgets land in right sidebar when changing themes

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Jan 16 22:02:03 UTC 2012

#19846: Specify 'primary' sidebar, so widgets land in right sidebar when changing
themes
 Reporter:  billerickson  |       Owner:
Changes (by nathanrice):

 * cc: ncrice@… (added)
 * keywords:   => needs-patch

Comment:

 +1 to this.

 I think the problem may go deeper than just moving from sidebar to
 sidebar. If I'm not mistaken, WordPress seeks to transfer ALL your active
 widgets to a new destination when switching themes.

 It's naive to assume that widget areas are always sidebars, and are
 therefore equipped to style the transferred widgets properly.

 But as Bill points out, this is specifically a problem with Twenty Eleven.
 Because Twenty Eleven front-loads widgets into the sidebar (instead of
 letting them be empty by default), a fresh install of WordPress followed
 by a fresh install and activation of another theme, can very likely end up
 with misplaced widgets.

 Sorry we didn't catch this earlier. We obviously would have reported it
 before 3.3 was released, if we had known.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/19846#comment:1>