[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #19799: define('RELOCATE', true) update the "siteurl" option, but not the "home" option

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Jan 11 00:54:55 UTC 2012

#19799: define('RELOCATE', true) update the "siteurl" option, but not the "home"
option
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  mintindeed       |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  new

Comment (by mintindeed):

 Replying to [comment:1 SergeyBiryukov]:
 > As I see it (according to
 [http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL#Relocate_method Codex]),
 the single purpose of `RELOCATE` is to be able to log in to the admin
 section and fix the `home` option manually.

 Hmm, I didn't come to the same conclusion from the documentation.  The
 first sentence talking about `RELOCATE`:

 > WordPress supports an automatic relocation method that will figure out
 and update '''those values''' for you automatically.

 Emphasis added.  "Those values" appear to refer to the siteurl and home
 options that the previous section had instructed you to update.

 It could be by design, but then it doesn't make sense that the
 documentation would instruct you in detail how to update both "siteurl"
 and "home", then point you to a preferred method that only updates
 "siteurl", still leaving you with the extra step to update "home"
 yourself.  Using `RELOCATE` to update "home" in addition to "siteurl"
 doesn't appear to cause any problems, and in my case, is quite helpful.

 But, that said, my question still remains -- if this is by design (e.g.,
 there's a specific reason *not* to update "home" here), or an oversight?

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/19799#comment:2>