[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18984: Accessibility: Title attribute should not be added to image markup by media.php

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Jan 5 12:49:36 UTC 2012

#18984: Accessibility: Title attribute should not be added to image markup by
media.php
 Reporter:  esmi          |       Owner:

Comment (by esmi):

 @Graham: My bad. I phrased my response poorly. Yes - of course a null alt
 attribute is the correct way to handle decorative images. And WordPress
 does handle that correctly right now. It's the enforced title attribute
 that's the issue here. At best, it's superfluous and annoying. At worst,
 it could create a barrier for some users - either by creating unwanted
 noise on the page or by encouraging web authors to rely on it instead of
 using the alt attribute appropriately.

 From an educational standpoint, I think we should be trying to point web
 authors in the right direction with regard to the alt attribute instead of
 giving them the wrong crutch.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18984#comment:6>