[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20052: Support sprites for admin menu icons in register_post_type and add_menu_page

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Feb 17 20:21:55 UTC 2012

#20052: Support sprites for admin menu icons in register_post_type and
add_menu_page
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  helenyhou       |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by helenyhou):

 Replying to [comment:18 azaozz]:
 > Replying to [comment:17 scribu]:
 > > We trade flexibility for convenience; that's what most APIs do...
 >
 > Right. The problem in this case (as @helenyhou mentions in the ticket
 description) is that such sprite would have to match exactly the expected
 dimensions and the images (icons) inside it would have to match the
 expected positions.

 Without the intention of slighting anyone, I would wager that quite a few
 developers have zero or nearly no concept of CSS sprites, much less
 creating and colorizing them. In parallel with a generation tool, I think
 this would actually make it more accessible to those who are not so well-
 versed in CSS and image manipulation but work with CPTs and other admin
 pages. This shouldn't be about forcing sprites on anybody, just making it
 easier to utilize them.

 Supporting columns (multiple menu icon sprites in one sheet) similarly
 would not lock anybody into using a single sheet for all icons, just make
 it easier. Yes, to use the API rather than your own CSS, you'd have to
 stick to a specific size and structure, but I don't think that's such a
 bad thing, especially with the possibility of a generator and/or at least
 a Photoshop template.

 I would think that at least for the menu icon (not really thinking about
 the screen icon at the moment - blame that on petemall) we could just use
 the same `menu_icon` and `$icon_url` arg/param, as I mentioned in my first
 comment. Something like `array( string $url = null, bool $sprite = false,
 int $col = null )`, with `$col` being used to calculate horizontal
 positioning if specified.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/20052#comment:20>