[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20054: No way to filter wp_terms_checklist() to prevent checked taxonomies jumping to the top

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Feb 16 17:15:47 UTC 2012

#20054: No way to filter wp_terms_checklist() to prevent checked taxonomies jumping
to the top
 Reporter:  husobj       |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  UI           |    Version:  3.3.1
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
 I frequently use categories and custom taxonomies.

 By default when editing a post, any selected categories or hierarchical
 terms with jump to the top of the list.

 I understand that in many scenarios this provides a better ui experience,
 but when you have a hierarchical taxonomy with multiple nested levels, it
 is actually a worse experience as the category jumps out of context and
 you cannot easily identify it's parent category.

 This is particularly frustrating if you have subcategories with similar or
 the same name as another category - the often happens in ecommerce
 applications etc.

 I'm not prosing that the default behaviour is change, but it would be nice
 to be able to filter the output at some point, probably in the
 wp_terms_checklist() function or Walker, to prevent selected categories
 jumping to the top.