[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #15769: WordPress ships with copyrighted "Hello, Dolly!" lyrics which could potentially terminate the GNU GPL of the package

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Feb 10 17:05:39 UTC 2012

#15769: WordPress ships with copyrighted "Hello, Dolly!" lyrics which could
potentially terminate the GNU GPL of the package
 Reporter:  novasource    |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by novasource):

 Please stop hurting the community.
 Um, well, a great way to "hurt the community" is to accuse people of
 "trolling" and "offensive rhetorical threats" just because you disagree
 with them.

 '''You''' stated a belief that the use of Hello, Dolly! here is fair use,
 and I am again asking for you or someone else to prove this belief. Please
 cite case law or reputable sources supporting your side. I've tried to do
 that above. Yes, this is germane to the core issue of this bug report. It
 is not trolling.

   Make the positive case.
 We need a solution to the issue, which is the illegal, unlicensed use of
 copyrighted lyrics. There are two proposed solutions: replacing with
 lyrics that don't jeopardize WordPress's GPL license or ditching the
 Hello, Dolly! plugin entirely (which is part of replacing it with an
 unrelated example plugin). Contrary to what you allege, I am fine with
 either outcome, so I don't want to take sides.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/15769#comment:71>