[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #22854: Rename "Alt text for the image, e.g. “The Mona Lisa” when inserting an image

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Dec 11 16:00:09 UTC 2012

#22854: Rename "Alt text for the image, e.g. “The Mona Lisa” when inserting an
image
-----------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  luciole135       |       Type:  enhancement
 When inserting an image, a message appears under the "Alt" field ('''Alt
 text for the image, e.g. “The Mona Lisa”''').

 This message is not clear. For a long time I didn't bother about it and I
 never completed it because I had no idea what its purpose was nor it
 result. Not knowing, I preferred to no change the default settings since
 that field is not completed by default, unlike the field "Title" which is
 completed by default.

 Then through internet browsing, I finally learnt that field is used by
 blind people in order to know about the displayed images.

 From there, I manually copied/pasted what was in the field "Title" of my
 almost 350 images (a one hour job).

 If the text displayed under the field "Alt" had been "'''Alternative text
 to be read by our blind friends unable to see the image'''" ('''or
 something of the kind'''), that would have been clearer to me and I would
 have completed that field as soon as I inserted my first image.
 Here, as it is, the text explaining that field doesn't help newbees ; it's
 a language for people knowing HTML (since the field names are exactly
 those of the img HTML tags).

 Also, it would be clearer for newbees not knowing HTML if the explanatory
 text for the field "Title" itself was something like: "Displayed in a
 bubble when hovering the image".

 The idea of all this is to tell expliciteley what fields are for, so that
 a person not knowing HTML can rapidly understand what they are supposed to
 do with them, without having to go through long searches on internet in
 order to understand those fields.

 I hope some members of the WordPress staff will consider my present
 comments.

 Best regards