[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #22770: Tweak Browse Happy so it doesn't jump the gun with out-of-date browser messages

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Dec 6 06:44:21 UTC 2012

#22770: Tweak Browse Happy so it doesn't jump the gun with out-of-date browser
messages
--------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  avcascade           |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)        |      Status:  new

Comment (by avcascade):

 Good to know about IE9 and Windows 7.

 A Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/etc. user who installs Chromium from the
 repository will (currently) be running Version 22.0.1229.94 for Ubuntu
 12.10. The Ubuntu developers make an effort to ensure that a ''fairly''
 recent version of Chromium is available to Ubuntu users. Chromium receives
 incremental upgrades in between release cycles and major upgrades in April
 and October of each year.

 >>It makes no sense to show a Chromium user a "your browser is out of
 date" message when their browser is, in fact, up to date - as provided by
 their distribution.

 > Why? It's out of date. If Debian ships PHP 5.2, are you up to date as
 provided by your distribution? Or are you just out of date?

 It's true that distributions often ship software that is not the most
 current version. Particularly Debian, which prizes stability. The point
 I'm trying to make, though, is that a notice which tells a user that the
 browser provided by their distribution is out of date is true but useless
 (TBU) information. Many users depend on the developers of their
 distribution for browser updates. Not all GNU/Linux users are highly
 skilled system administrators capable of compiling code from source or
 adding non-default repositories to their list of software sources. There's
 no point in telling users of popular distributions like Ubuntu that their
 browser is not the most recent version; non-skilled users can't or won't
 update until a new version is pushed out to them, and highly skilled users
 probably don't need reminders in the first place, since they know what
 their systems are running.

 If Browse Happy is checking for > 18, Ubuntu users running 12.10 should
 not see a warning.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22770#comment:3>