[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16832: Trouble if the slug of a custom taxonomy is the same as the url of page/post

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Sep 29 21:16:44 UTC 2011

#16832: Trouble if the slug of a custom taxonomy is the same as the url of
page/post
---------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  LucasHantz     |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  new

Comment (by tomauger):

 I might take a crack at this since it's something I'm running into a lot -
 basically in the context of wanting to create a main "taxonomy" landing
 page - both as a menu item and as a sort of meta-archive, such that if I
 go to /blog/my-custom-tax/ I can get an archive page that lists all the
 terms in that taxonomy. It would be best if this page's URL were the same
 as the tax's rewrite slug, for a better user experience in terms of the
 URI. /blog/my-custom-tax/term-one/ would of course be the archive page for
 a single term of the same taxonomy.

 Okay, so before I even consider looking into this, I'd like to know,
 particularly from Scribu, what's the angle: get WP to enforce that a page
 slug can NOT be the same as the rewrite slug of a custom taxonomy? or
 figure out how to allow a "taxonomy landing page" type structure - whether
 it's a new kind of template file, or just a page that you manually assign
 a slug to like we do now, and figure out what, in the rewrite class is
 making it such that it gives us a 404 today?

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16832#comment:8>