[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18579: admin footer tends to float to mid screen on scroll (ie fixed on page position).... despite valid html plugin pages

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sat Sep 3 10:48:06 UTC 2011

#18579: admin footer tends to float to mid screen on scroll (ie fixed on page
position).... despite valid html plugin pages
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  anmari          |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |    Version:  3.2.1
 Severity:  minor           |   Keywords:
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 This is happening in windows safari, firefox and IE, on generally HTML
 valid pages in wp 3.2.1 and nightly build. See screenshot. It looks like a
 problem with the css?

 If an admin page is longer than the menu, the admin footer is a real pain.
 It starts off at the bottom of the screen, but does not stay, so if one
 has a long admin page that one needs to scroll, it ends up in the middle
 of the page.

 It seems that wp admin pages may be getting around this by sticking extra
 clearing divs before the end of every html section.

 {{{
 `<div class="clear"></div>`
 }}}

 I've tried adding this 'extra' html to my plugin pages but it does not
 seem to help.  I've html validated my pages  - 2 errors that are wp errors

 {{{

  Line 1, Column 160: Bad value Content-Type for attribute http-equiv on
 XHTML element meta.
 …" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
  Line 1, Column 200: reference to undeclared general entity lsaquo
 }}}

 I've tried googling css advice for 'stickyfooters' and the advised css
 options are different to the css code wp has.

 In my humble opinion one should try to keep these things simple and avoid
 encouraging developers to alternative 'cleanups'.  Some of the sorts of
 plugin admin pages I have seen are bad enough.

 For now, Ive added

         add_filter('admin_footer_text', 'amr_remove_footer_admin');// stop
 footers floating up the page
         add_filter('update_footer', 'amr_remove_footer_admin');

 That leaves a css 'border' line through the middle.  I suppose I could add
 some css too to blow that away.

 Surely there is some cleaner way to handle the footer if there must be a
 footer ?

 I do think this is a 'bug' although base wordpress looks ok.

 Possibly related tickets:
 18229[http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18229]
 15679[http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/15679]
 15501[http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/15501]