[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #19383: Hide post formats next to post titles if the active blog theme does not support post formats

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Nov 29 10:11:17 UTC 2011

#19383: Hide post formats next to post titles if the active blog theme does not
support post formats
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  philiparthurmoore  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new

Comment (by philiparthurmoore):

 Replying to [comment:3 nacin]:

 > The format is dictated by the content, not by the theme. As these
 formats are fixed and portable, a subsequent theme switch could provide
 for an additional format to be supported.

 > When editing a post of an unsupported format, you're able to keep that
 existing format. If anything, you should be able to choose any format,
 separated into a supported list and an unsupported one. Again, we're
 describing the content — it is up to the theme to act on the design.

 A theme should not need to add post format support into its functions file
 just for the sake of a user being able to modify or remove a post format
 associated with a post. Post formats should only be supported by themes
 that intend to in some way use them in a way that's constructive to the
 theme (and user), otherwise they are nothing more than visual pollution on
 the Edit Post pages.

 So it seems that the most sensible solution would be to hide those labels
 while retaining the post format data. If not that, then adding helper
 documentation close to the post format labels that explains to a user why
 they are there and why they cannot use them.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/19383#comment:6>