[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16841: manually created user roles not showing in author dropdown irregardless of assigned capabilities

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Nov 14 16:43:14 UTC 2011

#16841: manually created user roles not showing in author dropdown irregardless of
assigned capabilities
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  10sexyapples     |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  new

Comment (by magicroundabout):

 Hello, this is my first post on Trac, so I hope it's useful.

 I spotted that new users in roles added with add_role don't appear in the
 author dropdown list.  This seems to have been introduced in #15871 when
 code was added to WP_User_Query->prepare_query to only select users with
 an old-school user-level of > 0 if 'who' => 'authors' was passed in the
 args.

 I don't quite understand the discussion on the logic of this (in #15871).
 It seems to me that user levels are deprecated, so shouldn't this select
 users with the edit_posts capability?

 Alternatively (additionally?), perhaps we could have a filter hook in
 wp_dropdown_users that lets us modify the arguments passed to get_users()?

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16841#comment:6>