[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #17497: "Theme Name" too long for database prevents custom menus from working properly

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed May 18 20:31:27 UTC 2011

#17497: "Theme Name" too long for database prevents custom menus from working
properly
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  fleetadmiralj  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |     Status:  new
Component:  Database       |    Version:  3.0.5
 Severity:  normal         |   Keywords:
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 When you create a description that is too long for the database in a
 theme's style.css file (after Theme Name:) it appears to cause problems,
 in my case specifically it wouldn't allow the custom menu I had created to
 save in a menu slot in the theme.

 When one tries to do that, it creates a item in the database named
 "mods_The long description of the template" in the database.  If the long
 theme name is too long for the option_name field (which would appear to be
 59 characters - the 64 character length minus the 5 characters for
 "mods_"), it gets truncated.

 It appears that this truncating makes it to where anything saved in the
 option_value field doesn't get applied.  Or at least, that was my
 conclusion after a series of troubleshooting trying to figure out why my
 menu wouldn't save (you can see my chronicling the problem as I tried to
 solve it here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/not-able-to-save-custom-
 menu-selection?replies=4)

 I did all the standard initial troubleshooting steps such as disabling
 plugins, so I know that wasn't the problem.  I was using a child theme
 under twenty-ten as well as using the multi-network plugin, though I
 suspect this would be an issue for any theme.