[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #17946: Recent comments dashboard widget prevents the dashboard from loading when there is a lot of spam comments

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Jun 30 13:52:05 UTC 2011

#17946: Recent comments dashboard widget prevents the dashboard from loading when
there is a lot of spam comments
 Reporter:  camilolopez   |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:  3.2
 Severity:  major         |   Keywords:
 Since 3.2 RC2 the recent comments dashboard widget starting taking way too
 long, to the point
 of hitting the limit time of execution, when there are a lot of recent
 spam comments and very few recent approved/waiting for approval.

 As of 3.2 RC3  the logic to display the widget is: take the most recent 50
 comments filter by approved/pending if the number of recent comments to
 show has been reached, stop otherwise try again with the next 50 comments
 and so on until the number of recent comments to be shown is reached.

 In one of  my test blogs happened have 30k+ spam comments most of which
 (20k+) are more recent than the newest approved/pending comment, the
 effect of this is my dashboard never finishes loading give the widget's
 loop take too much time and the PHP  execution gets halted.