[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #17913: Site-level comment options may override individual post settings. Improve communication.

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Jun 27 20:46:43 UTC 2011

#17913: Site-level comment options may override individual post settings. Improve
communication.
 Reporter:  niallkennedy  |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement   |     Status:  new
Component:  Comments      |    Version:
 Severity:  minor         |   Keywords:  has-patch
 Post comments may be automatically closed for a  site's posts if site
 option 'close_comments_for_old_posts' is true and the post was published
 before 'close_comments_days_old' days ago. These two options are set in
 options-discussion and override the 'comment_status' of an individual
 post.

 The edit posts screen's comment meta box displays comments open/close
 status, allowing publishers to open or close comments for a single post.
 It's possible the site-level discussion settings will override the
 individual post yet we still might display a different post comment status
 than the site settings allow.

 1. Enable site-level option to close comments on articles ( wp-admin
 /options-discussion.php#close_comments_for_old_posts )
 1. Enter a days value of 1 for maximum impact
 1. Edit a post published over a day ago
 1. View the Discussion meta box ( #commentstatusdiv )
 1. Interact with the 'comment_status' field

 I would like to better communicate expected failure and let the post
 author or editor know this particular setting has been overridden at the
 site options level. If the current user can manage options I might you
 could link to the override in the options page.

 I created a new test blog, set comments to auto-close after a day, and
 checked allow comments in the post screen. I was wondering why
 comments_open() was false for the post when I was looking at a checked box
 on the post screen.