[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18003: On the Credits page, add Male/Female tags for each person, for use in translation

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Jul 6 18:16:56 UTC 2011

#18003: On the Credits page, add Male/Female tags for each person, for use in
translation
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  RanYanivHartstein  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  new

Comment (by RanYanivHartstein):

 Replying to [comment:2 knutsp]:
 > Can't the English term just be translated to a language string including
 both genders? Like 'User Experience Lead' -> 'User Experience
 Lead/Leadess' (for Pseudo English 'en_PS' used to illustrate the point).

 I don't know if this is common in other languages, but there is something
 like this in Hebrew. However, because the language does normally
 distinguish between gender, writing something like "Lead/Lead-ess" is very
 impersonal and we only resort to it when it's legally required to be
 gender inclusive (think public job listings or government documents). It's
 not something we'd want to associate WordPress.org with, and it would miss
 the whole point of the credits page.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18003#comment:4>