[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16265: Theme installer - linux permissions block install - misleading error message.

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Jan 17 01:56:24 UTC 2011

#16265: Theme installer - linux permissions block install - misleading error
message.
---------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:                 |      Owner:
  rathbone1200cc           |     Status:  new
     Type:  defect (bug)   |  Milestone:  Awaiting Review
Component:                 |   Keywords:  Theme installer linux permissions
  Upgrade/Install          |
 Severity:  normal         |
---------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
 My wordpress install is 3.0.4 on a linux server.

 I ran the php-based theme installer with FTP account details.  It looks
 like the installer created a temporary folder "upgrade" in the wp-content
 directory.

 I ran the installer again with FTP account details for a different FTP
 account.  It looks like the permissions of the leftover "upgrade"
 directory in the wp-content directory blocked the install process.

 The error message for the problem was “username/password incorrect for
 ..." which was misleading.

 I changed the permissions of the "upgrade" directory to 777 - and this has
 unblocked the install process.