[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16204: Add hooks to enable access to pages in the admin when the menu layout has been changed by plugin

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Jan 14 10:12:15 UTC 2011

#16204: Add hooks to enable access to pages in the admin when the menu layout has
been changed by plugin
----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  mikeschinkel    |       Owner:  westi
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  reviewing

Comment (by mikeschinkel):

 I've described the various issues I'm having with admin menus hgere:

  - http://andrewnacin.com/2010/12/20/better-admin-menu-controls-custom-
 post-types-wordpress-3-1/#comments

 To further elaborate the security on admin menus is somehow coupled
 directly to the values in either the $menu or $submenu arrays which is
 problematic when the client does not want a submenu page to duplicate the
 menu page.  Honestly I battled with it for over 8 hours and at the end I
 still wasn't sure exactly what it was doing which is why I can't give you
 a more specific answer:

 [[Image(http://mikeschinkel.com/websnaps/skitched-20110114-050852.png)]]

 I just know that the admin menu is extremely difficult to get to work the
 way the clients want it and **all** I'm asking for are hooks so that I can
 make it work.

 I thought hooks were the things we were supposed to ask for when we needed
 something, so **we** could make it ''"plugin territory?"''

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16204#comment:2>