[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16057: download_url() error checking fails to notice that the file wasnt correctly witten to disk

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun Jan 2 19:37:23 UTC 2011

#16057: download_url() error checking fails to notice that the file wasnt correctly
witten to disk
-----------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Reporter:  dd32                               |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                       |      Status:  new

Comment (by erisds):

 I've setup an install of 3.0.1 in an environment with only a small amount
 of disk space on the same server as I originally encountered the issue.
 It's a fresh install of 3.0.1 no plugins etc.

 As reported in the blog post, there are two error messages I've
 encountered.

 1. Call to undefined function update_core() ... etc
 2. Incompatible Archive.: PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10),... etc

 From further testing it appears that the following is happening:

 Case 1: If there is not enough room to unpack the .tmp file archive from
 wp-content to wp-content/upgrade successfully and do the necessary
 processing to upgrade error 1 is thrown.

 Case 2: If there is not enough room to even write the .tmp file to the wp-
 content folder, error 2 is thrown

 So after receiving error 1 and then trying to auto update a few more
 times, eventually error 2 is thrown because WordPress can no longer even
 upload a .tmp file as all the leftover space has been used up by the
 partial .tmp files.

 The applied patch fixes error 2 - now we get a nice helpful notice telling
 us we've probably run out of space. Error 1 still occurs and still doesn't
 indicate disk space being the issue.

 I will investigate further to see if I can figure out where error 1 comes
 from, but I imagine people who know the upgrade process already will have
 a better chance :)

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16057#comment:2>