[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16455: if MULTISITE constant not defined error message "One or more database tables are unavailable" or "Error establishing a database connection" appears

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Feb 4 14:00:31 UTC 2011

#16455: if MULTISITE constant not defined error message "One or more database
tables are unavailable" or "Error establishing a database connection"
appears
 Reporter:  Axel_germany  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:  3.0.4
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
 I updated a wordpress installation (no multisite) from 3.0.1 to 3.0.4.
 After the update the back-end displayed the error message "One or more
 database tables are unavailable" and the front-end "Error establishing a
 database connection".

 I figured out that this only happened if the constant MULTISITE in wp-
 config.php was not defined at all.

 If you set it to false
 define( 'MULTISITE', false );

 or true

 define( 'MULTISITE', true );

 everything seams to be fine.

 I tested it with the default 'Twenty Ten 1.1 by the WordPress team' theme
 and no plugins activated.

 This might have to do with this:

 {{{
 if (MULTISITE) {echo "is true";}
 else {echo "is false";}
 }}}

 is evaluated to 'true' if you didn't defined the constant while it is
 evaluated to 'false'

 {{{
 define("MULTISITE", false );
 if (MULTISITE) {echo "is true";}