[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16452: Remove 'Settings' > 'General' > 'WordPress address (URL)' and 'Site address (URL)' from backend

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Feb 3 21:26:09 UTC 2011

#16452: Remove 'Settings' > 'General' > 'WordPress address (URL)' and 'Site address
(URL)' from backend
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jottlieb        |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |     Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |    Version:
 Severity:  minor           |   Keywords:
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 As I'm maintaing the German WordPress Forums, I notice that many people
 unintentionally bring their WordPress installs to standstill, because
 they're editing the input fields 'WordPress address (URL)' and/or 'Site
 address (URL)' by curiosity.

 The're are only few scenarios, why these input fields might be useful. In
 most cases they produce damage.

 So I propose to remove the fields (why don't edit wp-config.php instead?)
 or at least put a big warning message next to them. Another suggestion is
 to show a JS alert after editing ('...Only change this, if you know what
 you're doing...only enter an URL, that physically points to your
 Blog...').