[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #19639: Enhancement: request: filter support before shortcodes are parsed or convert " into "

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Dec 21 17:01:42 UTC 2011

#19639: Enhancement: request: filter support before shortcodes are parsed or
convert " into "
 Reporter:  archon810     |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Shortcodes    |    Version:  3.3
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
 My team uses Windows Live Writer to do all posting, but we constantly have
 trouble using shortcodes because WLW, being as awesome as it is in other
 aspects, keeps converting the double quotes in shortcodes to
 {{{
 "
 }}}
 This breaks shortcode attributes, and while we're working around it using
 single quotes, we can't use shortcode attribute data that contains single
 quotes then.

 So, is there a good fix for this?

 One workaround would be to have a filter that runs before shortcodes are
 parsed that converts " back to ". However, in the shortcode API, I
 found no filters in use at all, so that's out without modifying WP source.

 Alternatively, the API could just pre-process the data and take care of
 this case, which should be solved in WP core yet again.

 Is there some way to resolve this without the above modifications to core?

 Thanks.