[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18984: Accessibility: Title attribute should not be added to image markup by media.php

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Dec 6 02:35:48 UTC 2011

#18984: Accessibility: Title attribute should not be added to image markup by
media.php
 Reporter:  esmi          |       Owner:

Comment (by karlgroves):

 +1.  This is enough of an annoyance that I've written a little snippet of
 jQuery to work around it on sites I make with Wordpress

 The only required attribute here seems to be the title.  If any of these
 are required, it should be the alt.   I disagree with removing title from
 generated markup.  The content author may have a valid reason for
 providing a title attribute.  However, there is a potential usability
 problem with the way this is currently handled.

 As I said above, the only field marked as required is currently the title.
 This may lead content authors to believe that all they need to do is
 provide the title (afterall, the alt isn't required).  It would be
 preferable to have the alt be the required field here.  Any logic
 necessary for labeling the file in the media library can come from the
 alt.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18984#comment:1>