[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #17253: Author role should be able to make/edit pages (a.k.a. let's get with the times)

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Apr 27 11:29:52 UTC 2011

#17253: Author role should be able to make/edit pages (a.k.a. let's get with the
times)
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jane             |      Owner:
     Type:  feature request  |     Status:  new
Component:  Role/Capability  |    Version:  3.1
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 More and more sites are using WordPress to run the whole site, not just a
 blog. Pages are quickly eclipsing blog posts as the default content type,
 and we should start moving to address this. Currently authors have no
 rights to pages. Someone with higher rights can set the author as someone
 with the author role, but the author can't actually get to it. This is
 super lame, because the "just create and manage your own stuff" role
 doesn't apply to a major form of content.

 I understand this will have implications re backwards compatibility, but
 we've talked about revisiting the roles system at some point, so I wanted
 this ticket to be on record. We have to make roles more reasonable for CMS
 use.