[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #17163: Allow plugins to specify how their settings page looks using the Settings API

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Apr 18 09:54:41 UTC 2011

#17163: Allow plugins to specify how their settings page looks using the Settings
API
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  ptahdunbar   |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by andrewryno):

 Replying to [comment:2 ptahdunbar]:
 > It currently doesnt add anything new for existing uses. It just adds a
 new optional step for developers who'd like to take advantage of the
 Settings API but have it displayed and styled the way they want it.

 I tried rewording that a bit after I looked at what you were proposing
 again. I don't mean extra for current uses since it's backwards
 compatible, but if you do want custom code, it initially to me seemed like
 much more code needed.

 > Again, there's no additional markup being added if your using the
 default output. For developers who want to custom the display, adding more
 markup is to be expected.

 Above.

 > WordPress has a variety of UI elements that it display data throughout
 the backend, and currently the Settings API restricts it to just the form-
 table styled table element.

 Yup, and I hate that it uses tables. :) Only the List Table API should
 really be using tables.

 > How so? Examples would be great.

 As long as you use update_option() or post to options.php (just to name a
 couple) anything is possible. Just logged into a clients site and two
 plugins install that do this is All in One SEO and XML Sitemaps. If I
 looked through all the sites I've built, there would be dozens I could
 list off.

 > What you just said, this exact use case, would be possible with my patch
 :D

 Awesome! I believe all that will be attached to #16413 since there also
 might be a few more changes to the settings pages (which may require
 changing the API).

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/17163#comment:3>