[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #17163: Allow plugins to specify how their settings page looks using the Settings API

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Apr 18 09:48:06 UTC 2011

#17163: Allow plugins to specify how their settings page looks using the Settings
API
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  ptahdunbar   |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by ptahdunbar):

 Replying to [comment:1 andrewryno]:
 > I like the idea (more flexibility),
 good.

 > but I feel this patch will just add too much to the settings API for
 people to use it.
 It currently doesnt add anything new for existing uses. It just adds a new
 optional step for developers who'd like to take advantage of the Settings
 API but have it displayed and styled the way they want it.

 > Now you would need to add in more markup in order to get something setup
 (if you don't use the default tables).
 Again, there's no additional markup being added if your using the default
 output. For developers who want to custom the display, adding more markup
 is to be expected.

 > It's much simpler when it generates everything. Then it also makes the
 admin panel more consistent and easier to use for users.
 WordPress has a variety of UI elements that it display data throughout the
 backend, and currently the Settings API restricts it to just the form-
 table styled table element.

 > Developers can already bypass the API and style it the way they want it
 as it is.
 How so? Examples would be great.

 > That said, in 3.3 I want to work on getting the settings API to switch
 from tables to divs. That would give developers slightly more flexibility
 since you can do more with divs and CSS. Still somewhat constrained, but
 much better than tables.
 What you just said, this exact use case, would be possible with my patch
 :D

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/17163#comment:2>