[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #15093: wptexturize() efficiency improvement: remove unnecessary repetition operators

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Oct 11 03:22:33 UTC 2010

#15093: wptexturize() efficiency improvement: remove unnecessary repetition
operators
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  mdawaffe     |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
Component:  General      |     Version:
 Severity:  normal       |    Keywords:
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 There are few regular expressions in wptexturize() that are used to match
 strings of the form {{{/(\d+){suffix}/}}} or {{{/{prefix}(\d+)/}}} for
 replacement with {{{{something else}$1}}} or {{{$1{something else}}}},
 respectively.

 The repetition operator is not needed; matching only the last (or first)
 digit in the series of digits is equivalent.  Since the repetition
 operator will cause more backtracing when processing the regular
 expression, removing it will increase efficiency.

 In my (very naive) tests, I found about a 2% speed increase when removing
 those repetition operators.

 Patch attached.