[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #15409: Top-Level Domain (TLD) validation function and email validation/sanitization

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sat Nov 13 19:00:56 UTC 2010

#15409: Top-Level Domain (TLD) validation function and email
validation/sanitization
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stephdau     |       Owner:  stephdau
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  accepted
Component:  Formatting   |     Version:  3.1
 Severity:  normal       |    Keywords:
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------

Comment(by stephdau):

 Replying to [comment:7 scribu]:
 > Found the place where I read that:
 > http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2010/11/icann-to-open-top-level-domain-
 floodgates.ars

 Oh cool, thanks for the ref! Okay, it does seem to be happening faster
 than I thought, but I guess we still have until 2012:
 {{{
 ICANN plans to release its guidebook for more public comments on Nov. 9,
 and to
 approve it at its next board meeting in Colombia in the first half of
 December. If
 all goes smoothly, they will begin accepting applications in May 2011 for
 new
 TLDs that would start functioning sometime in 2012. ICANN has said they
 will
 draw the line at 1,000 new TLDs per year.
 }}}

 FTR: this TLD check implementation was implemented on WordPress.com for
 signup and such, as a response to users mistyping their email addresses
 and being left in the dark. TLD validation was the sanest route for us.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/15409#comment:8>